Thursday, February 28, 2013

Final Thoughts

I think that this book has allowed me to understand the conditions on the battlefield. Too often in media is war portrayed as a gruesome fight between two countries. We are constantly told of the casualties, but never really cared about the people who lost their lives. After reading "Three Day Road," I understand the plights of the soldiers. However, I found it interesting that we would be introduced to their lives outside of battle. They dine at restaurants and chat among each other. It dawned on me that we were no different than the ones fighting for our lives. The soldiers are people, they have names. In a few years, one of our friends could be one of the countless many fighting overseas. Having had a glimpse into their lives, I cannot look away now. I feel nothing but compassion for those touched by the war.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, this book has definitely taught me the feelings of the soldiers who watched their friends and companions die before them. The author was able to successfully put me in the mind of the main character, allowing me to visualize his past and pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our novel is also based on war. It's interesting how different the styles of these two novel differ yet also are so attached.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny too how most of the Canadian lit that was chosen concerned war. I think it may have something to do with the fact that good lit is derived from pain and suffering. Sad but true. Canadian lit also is connected by themes of Isolation. Maybe because of our vastness and how we are underpopulated relative to our size and topography.
    So good to see your reflections. I enjoyed your thoughtful posts and appreciate how well you craft your compositions

    ReplyDelete