Tuesday, February 5, 2013

3 Day Road, A First Glance

For the Canadian novel study, the book our group chose is "Three Day Road" by Joseph Boyden. From what I know so far, it is a book which recalls the stories of 2 aboriginal people, Niska and Xavier. I chose this book partly because one of my friends recommended it, but also because the brief excerpt at the back of the book interested me. It had rather high ratings from many book review websites, so I hope the book lives up to my expectations. I hope to feel sympathy for the characters, and be exposed to more engaging language. Perhaps this book will help me understand how soldiers coming back from war re-assimilate into society. I also wonder how people deal with struggles such as the loss of a loved one and exposure to abandonment. I wonder if I can connect Xavier's current situation with one of my own. So far I know that Xavier's friend is presumed dead or missing. How would I deal with losing a friend or a family member? Xavier thought he had lost both his aunt and his friend. Perhaps through his experiences, I, too, will learn how to deal with the problem of death.

2 comments:

  1. I'm interesting in this very unique perspective of the war

    Good job thinking about your inquiry.
    Your Inquiry question will evolve as you read and discuss with your group. Just keep at the back of your mind what relevance what you're reading has to do with your life and the world around you. It'll help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your inquiry question has reminded me what my father has told me about "death". He always tell me not to be afraid of any obstacles or failures because there is nothing on earth that is worse and more difficult to cope than death. However, he also tells me that even death is not that dreadful. I think what he is trying to tell me is that I should always be brave and strong, even when dealing with the problem of death.

    ReplyDelete