Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Personal Thoughts About the Novel

I thought that it would be relaxing to deviate from the plot of the book and focus more on the structure. "Three Day Road" excellently uses descriptive and fluent language to accurately describe the conditions that Xavier and Elijah had to live through. One of the first noticeable feature of the novel is the use of native language. Such words add a level of depth to the novel, and help the reader picture the native culture. One example I found particularly well written was the smoky ash and rain of fire. Boyden truly focuses on painting a vivid image in the readers' mind. It was as if I could feel the searing ash that fell over Xavier and his relief when he dived into the water. Many books that I have read have tried to capture my attention, but none have as "Three Day Road" has. The description of the woman becoming a wendigo created a dark atmosphere in which it felt like evil was present in the room I was reading the book. Her bloodcurdling screams and sudden silence sent chills throughout my body. Boyden has written a novel that I find reluctant to place down.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! I find it hard as well to place the book down. Joseph Boyden uses many effective literary devices to strengthen the book's plot and character development. It's truly a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I found the imagery and description of Elijah and Xavier are escaping the forest fire to be very realistic and captivating It really brought out the desolation and danger that they experienced at the time.

    ReplyDelete